Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Welcome to Iceland!


So Lisa just got back from the International Nursing Conferance on Family Relations in Iceland. Most people would say- Iceland? What is even in Iceland? And to that I would reply- a whole lot of nothing- only 320,000 people, and almost half of it is covered by glaciers and uninhabitable- and it was WONDERFUL! It is so untamed and devoid of people, that it is just georgeous. I felt like I was on another planet- or maybe the set of Lord of the Rings. Anyway- a wonderful trip all around- and a place I'll miss.
There are basically two main towns in Iceland- the capital, Reykjavik; and the "northern capital"- Akureyi. We drove up and stayed about 70 minutes from Akureyi for the first few days.
This is the main town- Akureyi

This is basically what Iceland looks like- crystal blue waters, lots of green mountains covered in waterfalls, and surrounded by snow capped mountains.

Other than the two main cities- everyone else basically lives in these farmhouses. All white with red roofs (nobody was able to tell us why)- and just absolutely in the middle of nowhere.


Iceland has about a bizillion waterfalls- seriously- with the huge snow melt every spring, waterfalls are just everywhere the eye can see. This is obviously a bigger one- Godafoss (-foss means waterfall)

So we stayed on this farmhouse for our first 3 days in Iceland- completely out there- had to take a dirt road just to get to it- but the house was completely modern and comfortable. It was beautiful and just perfectly serene. We loved it there.

This is basically right outside the house we stayed at- an opening to some fjords.

Like I said- just a lot of nothing. It was beautiful.
This is an aerial view of the house we stayed at. Pretty, huh?
A map of Iceland

2 comments:

KB said...

Wow Lisa! What a rad place to go. Icleand looks gorgeous!! The waterfall pic's my fav :) You make me want to travel! How warm does it get there? Looks like you had fun.

Jared, Brynne, Emme and Oliver Higley said...

What a COOL trip! I am so jealous! I bet that was the neatest experience. How are you?! I heard you might be coming to Boise for Katie's homecoming...is that true? or just rumor? I sure hope so! It'll be good to catch up. Katie will be SO thrilled to see you. I CAN'T WAIT!!